For more than 100 years, patients have looked to Waverly Health Center (WHC) for their health care needs and have found a hospital filled with compassionate, trustworthy caregivers. In 2003, WHC joined the Planetree alliance. Planetree Person-Centered Care Designation was granted in June, 2009 making the health center the first Critical Access Hospital in the nation and the first hospital in Iowa to receive the prestigious designation. WHC achieved re-designation in July 2012, 2015 and 2018.
Located in northeast Iowa, Waverly Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality, person-centered health care. Each employee serves as a caregiver and strives to embody the organizational values of compassion, enthusiasm, excellence, innovation, integrity and leadership.
Waverly Health Center’s commitment to consistently providing high quality, person-centered health care is clearly supported through its high patient, employee and medical staff satisfaction scores. WHC’s inpatient satisfaction scores rank it in the top 25% of hospitals in the nation and its HCAHPS scores are some of the highest among Planetree affiliates and all U.S. hospitals.
Many hospitals claim to be person-centered, but few truly have built their facility, culture and core values around the patient and their families’ needs.
2022: The building project comes to a close.
2021: The new emergency department opens in September. Work continues on the renovation.
2019: Construction begins on the new addition.
2016: WHC begins planning for a $36 million dollar addition and renovation project.
2015: Janesville Clinic opens.
2012: The new Shell Rock Clinic opens at 1001 Mason Way.
2011: The Lois Coonradt/Bolger Helipad opens for use.
2010: Christophel Clinic and Orthopedic Clinic open. WHC purchases Shell Rock Clinic.
2009: Walk-In Clinic opens.
2008: Tendrils Rooftop Garden and Community Arts Pavilion opens for community use.
2007: Noah Campus Health Clinic and Nashua Clinic open.
2005: Centennial Pavilion and Center Pharmacy open.
2004: Waverly Municipal Hospital becomes Waverly Health Center to reflect the continually expanding range of health care services offered on the campus. The Women's Clinic opens.
2003: Construction begins on the Centennial Pavilion, a 96,000 square foot, three-story addition on the east side of the hospital.
1999: Approval is passed by the Waverly City Council and the WMH Board of Trustees to proceed with plans for an addition to be constructed. The planned new addition will provide 23,000 square feet of new and remodeled space for surgeon’s clinics, medical specialty clinics, therapy departments, home health, cardiac rehabilitation and health promotion.
1997: The General Surgery Clinic opens.
1994: Construction is under way for the second new addition to WMH. The 28,000 square foot, $2.8 million addition and renovation project is complete and is designed to enhance the hospital’s ability to provide for the increasing demands of outpatient care. Hospital-based home health nursing services begin. The purchases of a C-arm x-ray machine and EKG stress testing equipment and the startup of mobile Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Stereotactic Breast Biopsy and Bone Density services are added for improved services at WMH.
1992: The health promotion center and therapeutic pool begins operation.
1991: Plans are made for additions to WMH. The first addition is to construct an orthopedic/physical therapy building and the north and east parking lots. The second phase includes renovation and expansion of the outpatient services area. Orthopedic/physical therapy addition is completed.
1987: A City owned, Hospital operated ambulance service becomes a reality. The Waverly Municipal Hospital Foundation begins operation.
1975: The Sisters of Mercy sells the hospital to the City of Waverly. The new hospital is named Waverly Municipal Hospital.
1964: With the help of community contributions, a Hill-Burton federal grant and the Auxiliary playing an active role in community fundraising, a new 45-bed hospital is constructed.
1914: An addition is added. The hospital now holds 50 beds in three stories.
1904: St. Joseph Mercy Hospital is founded by the Sisters of Mercy