What is a lactation consultant?
A lactation consultant is a breastfeeding specialist. She works with families to teach them how to feed their babies by giving education and resources specific to each baby’s needs.
Breastfeeding moms may have one or more of these concerns:
- Slow weight gain of baby
- Breast and nipple pain
- Going back to work
- Low milk supply
- Oversupply of milk
- Problems with latching on
With support, many of these issues can be dealt with early to promote your baby’s well-being and growth. Lactation support can make an impact on your ability to reach your breastfeeding goals.
Roles of a lactation consultant:
- Assessing mom and baby’s lactation needs
- Identifying breastfeeding problems or concerns
- Providing resources and education to families
- Working with families to make and carry out a personal feeding plan
- Considering cultural, psychosocial and nutritional goals and needs of families while providing support
- Giving support and encouragement to help mothers meet their breastfeeding goals
- Encouraging and supporting breastfeeding for one year and beyond
- Providing education and guidance to families about feeding needs no matter what the child’s age
Waverly Health Center lactation services:
Lactation Services at Waverly Health Center are provided by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. We offer breastfeeding classes, visits with the lactation consultant during your hospital stay, newborn assessment clinics, and lactation consults after discharge. We are also a Mother’s Milk Bank Donor Site.
Lactation line & appointments:
Our lactation consultant is available to answer questions and even meet with you. Please call (319) 483-1330 with your breastfeeding questions and concerns!